The jobs are waiting for them, too. Take, for instance, this screenshot:
The above are the results of a search for "navigator' on HealthCallings.com from this morning. These are just the first 16 that popped up. They're all Patient Navigator jobs that were posted TODAY, and that's not even the full extent of them!
In reviewing an outsourced Patient Navigation research report from Fall of '12, we found out just how much the PN field is growing. An excerpt:
The Patient Navigator job outlook suggests a surge and continued increase in not only available jobs but also salaries of Patient Navigators, with or without a medical background.
SimplyHired.com, September 2012:
- The average salary for patient navigator jobs is $41,000*. Average patient navigator salaries can vary greatly due to company, location, industry, experience and benefits. This salary was calculated using the average salary for all jobs with the term "patient navigator" anywhere in the job listing.
- A simple search on the Business Week Jobs Board for "Patient Navigator" yields 14,000+ results** (09/12) vs. 641 results just over a year ago on SimplyHired.com in May of 2011.
- Double or triple growth in the next few years anticipated for PN as a career (AONN)
- The AONN estimates there are 2,500 to 3,500 navigators nationwide (however, there could be at least another 1,000 who work under job descriptions as care coordinators or liaisons).
- Most navigators currently work in Oncology, but they are also branching out into emergency medicine, diabetes treatment and cardiology.
- Hospitals are creating more navigator positions than adding to someone's existing job duties. That has a lot to do with the new CoC standards.
The winds and waves are always on the side of the ablest navigators ~ Edward Gibbon